Friday 22 January 2010

Sandy Beauty


We spent the afternoon in the desert last Friday after driving half an hour out from Dubai and then twenty minutes off-road. I'm not really the rough-it sort (though we will be desert camping next weekend) but this is beautiful, and one of my favorite parts of living in the middle east. We saw two scorpions this time - not a rare occurrence but the most we've seen at once! They are spotted by the fire, and usually someone catches them in a cup and throws them in before they run around too much. Still, it's unnerving to see the deadly, tiny things scurry past!

These photos don't show my favorite two things about the desert. One is the endless, untouched, rolling dunes you see after driving a few minutes farther out, and the other is the blanket of stars once dark has fallen. The only time you'll ever see more stars is in Khasab when the village power goes out :)



love,
Cait

4 comments:

Elena said...

It really is beautiful Cait; I can't imagine how wonderful it looks in real life...maybe sometime I can see it too :)

natalie said...

How lovely! Makes me miss the sun...it seems to have left my area for a very long vacation. I guess it's visiting you!

LeAnna said...

I bet that is absolutely incredible to see in person! Gorgeous pictures, girl!

Shaista said...

Oh wow that last picture is fantastic - are those camels' hooves making those deep tracks? Beautiful simplicity of sand..