Thursday 11 February 2010

beauty of a place


It's a lovely thing to love your room. Or your house, or your kitchen. Right now I have a room, and it is my favorite place, and what I could have called years ago a dream room (even though it's not pink and fairy-themed). I love the cranberry wall and Grandpa's olive dresser, and the chair that I can't sit comfortably in, and the art shelves and story-filled pointe shoes. It's scattered with gifts and old books, oddities and quirky color combinations. There are cards with wise words to memorize. In the afternoon the room is flooded with colored light coming through the curtains. (Isn't afternoon sun delicious?) I light all my candles and it smells heavenly (like Tyler Candle Company to be exact). I like the frame wall and the painting by Katie and the twine with pretty things clothespin-ed to it.

Blythe eyes, German monkey dolls; cat.

Bagpipes in a corner gathering dust. Cat hair everywhere. (Especially on the pretty chair that's made for taller people)

Peacock feathers, wax drippings, a painted marionette that lies with no place to display.


But a room is not a home, and if you have a home it needs to bless everybody, not just yourself. The most beautiful homes I've been to are the ones that are aesthetically lovely and personal, and also welcoming, warm, song-filled, pouring love and time and good food and purpose.


I don't have tea parties in it but a room is good practice.

7 comments:

Autumn said...

It is so artistic. I love the light coming through the curtains, and the colors. Especially the cover of the dresser.

erin meagan said...



i loved your reply back to mine! i understand your views, sort of. i have a few friends who are very spiritual and believe one hundred percent in God. I'm not at that point yet, but they are telling me what they believe, and I find it all so interesting.

amelia said...

oh oh, your room is so beautiful! I just started reading your blog, and I love it...you and I have so much the same tastes, but you have the ability to actualize it, it seems.

I love love love your dresser..that is one of my favorite colours. :)

-Amelia

Brette of the Wood said...

I must say, tho I feel at home in my new jungley island, my room is where I miss the most. <3

Sara said...

I think your room is beautiful :)

Graysie Carreiro said...

I love my room to <3 The most delicious time to go into it is in the late afternoon...when the sun is trickling through the window...and I feel like I'm living in a painting. :)

Graysie Carreiro said...

I love my room to <3 The most delicious time to go into it is in the late afternoon...when the sun is trickling through the window...and I feel like I'm living in a painting. :)